Skip to main content

History of Dalhousie University

A guide for researching the history of Dalhousie University

Key Facts

  • The new Dental Act of 1907 allowed the Dental Association of Nova Scotia to set up a College of Dentistry in Halifax. It was required because of the 114 registered dentists in Nova Scotia, nineteen did not have any degree
  • The Dalhousie Senate came to an agreement with the Maritime Dental College and Dr. Frank Woodbury in 1908 to create an affiliated Faculty of Dentistry, and provided space in the Forrest building
  • The Maritime Dental College enrolled its first group of students in 1908, and the first class graduated in 1912
  • During the 1911-1912 academic year, there were seventeen students enrolled, eight of which were in their first of a four year program
  • During the First World War, Dentistry and Medicine were the only two faculties whose enrollment operations remained near normal at Dalhousie - the demand from students was so great that the government requested that classes run into the summer
  • From 1951-1957, the Faculty only had one full-time professor and relied mostly on part-time lecturers
  • The current Dentistry building opened in 1958

Books, Journals, and other Print Resources

Deans of the Faculty of Dentistry

Key People