Skip to main content

History of Dalhousie University

A guide for researching the history of Dalhousie University

Key Facts

  • The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences was established on July 1, 1989 after separating from the Faculty of Science
  • Restructuring of the Faculty of Arts and Science began around 1986, when a committee was setup to consider the current structure of the faculty and potential future directions
  • Proposal for two faculties, The Smith Report, was drafted in 1987, and a referendum of the Faculty of Arts and Science that same year showed favour for the split, though not by a very large margin
  • The proposed implementation of a 20 credit Major B.A and B.Sc. for 1987/88 included: Biology, Classics, Comparative Religion, Economics, French, 'Mathematics, Statistics, and Computing Science,' Geology, German, Philosophy, and Physics
  • The faculty contains one of the oldest English departments in Canada, dating from 1865 when James de Mille was appointed the first Professor of Rhetoric
  • The faculty's first two Bachelor of Arts degrees were awarded to Joseph Henry Chase and Robert Shaw in 1866