Skip to main content

History of Dalhousie University

A guide for researching the history of Dalhousie University

Key Facts

  • Started as the Department of Science in 1877, became the Faculty of Science in 1880/81, became the Faculty of Pure and Applied Science in 1891/92, and the Faculty of Arts and Science in 1906

  • The first Master of Science degree was awarded in 1904 to W.H. Ross

  • Today’s Faculty of Science founded was in 1987

  • In its first full year (1988), today’s Faculty of Science had 233 regular staff, with at least fifty percent working full time

  • Prime Minister Brian Mulroney visited the Faculty of Science on March 6, 1990, touring the Marine Gene Probe Laboratory

Resources in the University Archives

President's Office fonds

Dalhousie University Reference Collection

Deans of the Faculty of Science

Key People